27th June 2017
HOUGHTON – A company rallied together to collect donations for community members who lost everything in a fire.
On Saturday 17 June at 4am a house in Berea on the corner of Tudhope and Primrose Terrace was engulfed in flames. The cause of the fire is still being investigated by Johannesburg Emergency Services.
The house was occupied by 32 people including women and children, some as young as a few months old. The ward councillor and local City of Joburg EMS disaster management representatives arrived at the scene sometime after and found that the victims had lost everything including clothing, money and identification.
At 1.30pm, via social media, a call was made to Yusuf Abramjee and Yaseen Theba (Director of Vision Tactical, a Houghton-based company) from #OperationSA to assist with the victim’s immediate needs. Theba arrived to meet with victims of the fire and representatives from Joburg City Council and disaster management at 2pm and together they made an assessment of the immediate needs.
A collection point was set up at a client’s premises in Houghton.
Within two hours, Vision Tactical mobilised their clients to arrange the following:
- Toiletries and hygiene packs.
Theba explained that the response was overwhelming. Clients dropped off food supplies, blankets, and everything else that was required for the immediate needs of the Berea Fire victims. Three 1- tonne vehicles filled to capacity arrived at 4.30pm at the premises and handed over donations to the councillor and disaster management to be distributed to the residents of the burnt house.
“We will keep in contact with residents and the councillor to continue assessing the damage and needs of the victims of this devastating fire. We thank the generous clients and friends who opened their hearts to assist at this time of need – this is the spirit of Ubuntu,” said Theba.
The house was occupied by 32 people including women & children, some as young as a few months old. The ward councilor and local City of Joburg EMS Disaster Management representatives arrived at the scene some time after & found that the victims had lost everything including clothing, money & identification.
At 1:30pm, via social media, a call was made to Yusuf Abramjee & Yaseen Theba from #OperationSA to assist with the victims immediate needs. Theba arrived to meet with victims of the fire & representatives from council & disaster management at 2pm and together they made an assessment of the immediate needs.
A collection point was set up at a clients premises in Houghton. Within two hours, Vision Tactical mobilized their clients to arrange the following:
- Toiletries & Hygiene packs.
The response was overwhelming. Clients dropped off food supplies, blankets, and everything else that was required for the immediate needs of the Berea Fire victims. Three 1 ton vehicles filled to capacity was delivered at 4:30pm to the premises and handed over to the Councillor & disaster Management to be distributed to the residence of the burnt house.
“We will keep in contact with residence and the Councillor to continue assessing the damage and needs of the victims of this devastating fire”- Yaseen Theba, Director of Vision Tactical.
“We thank the generous clients and friends who opened their hearts to assist at this time of need, this is the spirit of Ubuntu”, he added.
064 400 0000
Check Your Smoke Alarms
- Working smoke alarms reduce the chances of dying in a fire. They are a critical first step for staying safe, but in order to be effective, they have to be working properly.
- For the best protection, install smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside every sleeping area and in each bedroom.
- Consider installing a smoke alarm that has a good battery.
Create and Practice a Fire Escape Plan
- Create and practice a home fire escape plan with two ways out of every room.
- As part of your plan, designate one person to get infants and small children out safely. Have a back-up plan for young children just in case the primary person is overcome by smoke.
- Smoke is toxic. Teach children to “get low and go” if there is smoke when they are leaving the home.
- Practice feeling the door, doorknob and cracks around the door with the back of your hand to see if they are too hot. Help your children practice this step.
- Choose a place to meet outside that is a safe distance away from your home.
In an Emergency, Leave Home Immediately
- In the event of a fire, leave your home immediately. Once you’re out of the house, stay out.
- Wait to call the Fire Department until after you are out of the home.
If You Live in an Apartment, Pull the Alarm
- If there is a fire and you don’t hear the building’s fire alarm, pull the nearest fire alarm “pull station” on your way out.
- Know all of your building’s fire escape exits and use the stairs to get out. Don’t use the elevator.
If You’re Stuck Inside, Cover the Areas Where Smoke Might Come In
- If you cannot safely escape your home or apartment, keep smoke out of the room by covering vents and cracks around the door, and call the SAPS 10111or your fire department as quickly as possible.
- Then signal for help at the window with a light-colored cloth or a flashlight.
Keep Flammable Materials in Safe Areas
- Remember to keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, and always closely supervise children and pets when the heater is turned on.
- Make sure you turn heaters off when you leave the room.
- If using gasoline or paraffin powered devices, store it in a locked location where children cannot access it. Keep only small quantities in an approved container that has child safety features.
Don’t Over Plug
- To prevent possible fires, avoid plugging several appliance cords into the same electrical socket.
Stay Focused Around the Kitchen
- Use common sense in the kitchen. Limit distractions when cooking and don’t leave a hot oven or stovetop unattended.
- Keep anything that can catch fire, such as dish towels or wooden spoons, away from your stovetop.
- Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of emergency, and make sure you know how it works. You might be surprised that most people don’t know how to use one.
Install Barriers Such as Safety Gates Around Fireplaces, Ovens and Furnaces
- Make sure your fireplace is protected by a sturdy screen. Remember that glass screens can take a long time to cool down.
- If you are using a fireplace make sure you burn only seasoned hardwood such as oak, ash or maple.
- If small children live in or visit your home, use a safety gate around your fireplace.
Blow Out Candles and Store Matches Out of Reach
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn, and always blow them out when you leave the room or before you go to sleep.
- Make a habit of placing matches, gasoline and lighters in a safe place, out of children’s reach. Avoid novelty lighters or lighters that look like toys.
- Teach kids never to play with matches and lighters. Make a habit of placing these items up and away from young children.
HOUGHTON – Drone support may help police officers see various crimes happening in real time.
Vision Tactical, a security company which is based in Houghton, recently launched drone capabilities which will deliver air support to security and emergency services.
Drones are being used by tactical teams and response officers to respond to crime incidents as well as in the search for missing people and the monitoring of traffic around road accidents.
“We remain committed to embracing new technologies to deliver high quality, cost-effective services and protection,” said Yaseen Theba, director of Vision Tactical.
The technology will be used to enhance and improve traditional methods of responding to emergencies. Vision Tactical currently uses the DJI Phantom 4 Drone and the Parrot Bebop Drone, which is controlled by a close ground support package.
The success of this advancement is the proactive real-time intelligence it provides during rapidly evolving situations such as shootings, robberies, hijackings, rescue operations and other high-risk missions. Trials and consultations are ongoing to develop more guidance for how the drones will be used more effectively to help keep the community safe by offering an aerial perspective of scenes.
Do you believe that the drone could be of great help for the community? Tweet @RK_Gazette and let us know.
- Alarming House Robbery Increase in GautengNovember 29, 2020 - 12:17 pm
- How to Stay Safe on Black Friday amid the Coronavirus PandemicNovember 27, 2020 - 9:43 am
- Laudium JOC Set To Crackdown On Crime During Upcoming Festive PeriodNovember 25, 2020 - 10:08 pm
- Vision Tactical Joins E2 Project To Kick Off Its Festive Season OperationsNovember 23, 2020 - 1:22 pm
- Vision Tactical achieves Top 20 Winner in the 2020 South African Small Business Awards.November 19, 2020 - 1:41 pm
- Gauteng Hijackings Point To Alarming Criminal Trends As Lockdown EasesNovember 18, 2020 - 2:08 pm
- The Top 20 winners are announced for the 2020 South African Small Business AwardsNovember 13, 2020 - 8:12 pm
- Members from Vision Tactical lending a helping hand at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Houghton on Friday.November 13, 2020 - 8:00 pm
- South Africans Should Brace Themselves For A Festive Season Crime Spike, Be Vigilant & Take PrecautionNovember 11, 2020 - 11:06 am
- SA Aviation Community Brings To Life The Children’s Flight 2020November 6, 2020 - 11:32 am
- Why you need to stop giving money to beggars in South A...July 29, 2016 - 8:41 am
- GREEN TEAM – ANOTHER VISION TACTICAL INITIATIVE TO GIVE...January 15, 2019 - 2:42 pm
- Female Employee Shot Dead At Killarney MallDecember 24, 2019 - 3:56 pm
- Christmas Eve : Intervention unit booking on duty to respond...December 24, 2018 - 2:32 pm
- VISION TACTICAL LAUNCHES INTERVENTION UNIT TO COMBAT CR...January 31, 2017 - 11:48 am
- Covid-19 Hotline And Whatsapp Helpline Flooded With Calls,...March 19, 2020 - 12:24 pm
- VISION TACTICAL LAUNCHES DRONE SUPPORTMay 12, 2017 - 7:38 am
- Learn how to survive the chaos of a violent protest.May 8, 2017 - 11:17 pm
- How to Keep Your Home Safe and Secure During the Holida...December 10, 2018 - 8:51 pm
- VISION TACTICAL SUPPORTS NAMOLA – FASTEST GROWING APP...November 28, 2017 - 4:38 pm
- Alarming House Robbery Increase in GautengNovember 29, 2020 - 12:17 pm
- How to Stay Safe on Black Friday amid the Coronavirus P...November 27, 2020 - 9:43 am
- Laudium JOC Set To Crackdown On Crime During Upcoming Festive...November 25, 2020 - 10:08 pm
- Vision Tactical Joins E2 Project To Kick Off Its Festive...November 23, 2020 - 1:22 pm
- Vision Tactical achieves Top 20 Winner in the 2020 South...November 19, 2020 - 1:41 pm
- Gauteng Hijackings Point To Alarming Criminal Trends As...November 18, 2020 - 2:08 pm
- The Top 20 winners are announced for the 2020 South African...November 13, 2020 - 8:12 pm
- Members from Vision Tactical lending a helping hand at the...November 13, 2020 - 8:00 pm
- South Africans Should Brace Themselves For A Festive Season...November 11, 2020 - 11:06 am
- SA Aviation Community Brings To Life The Children’s...November 6, 2020 - 11:32 am
- […] the last week of heritage and arbour months, Vision...October 7, 2020 - 8:55 pm by Community comes together to plant trees – Green Team
- Hello! I'm a freelancer who's designed and improved hundreds...July 21, 2020 - 7:18 pm by Ed Frez
- Vision the team spiritJune 6, 2020 - 6:24 pm by Carter chirapuse
- I'm interested to work I'm a hard worker honest I respect...April 3, 2020 - 10:23 am by Mzwakhe
- I feel like I may have the Corona virus. Please contact...March 25, 2020 - 10:16 am by Jarred
- I need to visit the state hospital for my chronic medication...March 23, 2020 - 3:35 pm by Beverley Mackay
- […] Tactical confirmed in an update report that the...March 12, 2020 - 8:18 pm by Killarney Mall shooting: Man kills wife before turning gun on himself
- […] Tactical confirmed in an update report that the...December 25, 2019 - 3:34 am by Man kills wife before turning gun on himself | samachar24
- […] Tactical confirmed in an update report that the...December 24, 2019 - 4:58 pm by Killarney Mall shooting: Man kills wife before turning gun on himself • News Alert
- […] Tactical confirmed in an update report that the...December 24, 2019 - 4:55 pm by Killarney Mall shooting: Man kills wife before turning gun on himself : South Africa Daily Observer