Considering the time you spend in your car and that your car is one of the biggest assets, if not the biggest, that you own, you can never implement enough security measures to ensure its safety. In a country where cars are not only stolen frequently, but smuggled over the border or stripped down in a matter of minutes, a tracking system is arguably one of the best safety precautions to have installed.
For those of us who haven’t made the smart choice yet, here is a list of the top ten things to look out for before investing in a tracking system.
- Is the tracking company partnered with the SAPS?
If the company is partnered with the South African Police Service, the police themselves will be involved in the tracking process should your vehicle ever be stolen. The company will enlist the help of the SAPS network of over 1 400 vehicles and 50 aircraft, often leading to swifter arrests and faster recovery of the vehicle in question.
- Is the tracking device accepted by car insurers?
If the device is accepted by insurance companies, chances are that you will be able to reduce the cost of your monthly car insurance premiums as a result.
- Does the company have a reputable ‘track’ record?
What percentage of stolen vehicles has the company managed to recover over the years? This percentage will be a good indication of whether the particular tracking device is a trustworthy one or not.
- Does the company offer you a variety of package options?
Obviously, the more variety that there is, the easier it will be to choose a tracking device that best suits your needs and your budget.
- What tracking options do you have?
If you opt for a slightly more advanced package, are you given the option to track your vehicle yourself using your smartphone, tablet or computer? This is a great benefit to have, especially if you are prone to forgetting where you parked your car!
- What extras does the tracking company offer you?
Think vehicle monitoring, roadside assistance, zone management etc. While you may have to pay a little bit extra each month in order to make use of these add ons, some of them are incredibly convenient to have.
- Does the system come with an ‘Assist’ or ‘Panic’ button?
Make sure that it does. This will make it possible for you to unnoticeably alert your tracking system provider if you’re in the process of being hijacked. It’ll also save you a phone call if you need roadside assistance.
- Is the tracking device maintenance-free?
The best tracking devices either come with a warranty or are 100% maintenance-free. It is also wise to ensure that the device comes equipped with its own independent backup battery.
- How accurate is the tracking device?
Ultimately, the more accurate the device, the easier it will be to trace and recover your vehicle. The best tracking systems are able to track your vehicle within five metres of its exact location.
- Are you getting value for money?
To determine this, you’ll have to shop around, which is always a good idea. Make sure that you aren’t paying for something that another reliable provider will give you for free.
As you can see, it is incredibly important to do your research before taking the plunge and choosing a vehicle tracking system. After all, this little piece of technology is going to be responsible for protecting your most prized possession.
Remember, by having a tracking device installed, not only will it provide you with peace of mind, but it might also result in cheaper car insurance premiums.
TRACKER. To Care is to Protect.
- Tracker is committed to the timely delivery and installion of quality vehicle telematics units and services which meet and exceed the needs and expectations of their customers.
Tracker is committed to delivering a quality service that fully meets our customers’ expectations. This is achieved by ensuring that each employee in the organisation adopts innovative and best-in-class telematics service practices with continual improvement in business and quality management systems as a part of Tracker’s effort to enhance customer satisfaction while assuring 100% quality.
- Tracker is committed to serve our clients by creating safer journeys and ensuring their vehicles’ safety by working together with various third parties which also include many law enforcement agencies and Vision Tactical.
- Tracker uses innovative technology to ensure the safety of your vehicles and the people who use them with this easy-to-use app on your smartphone or tablet, you can instantly locate your vehicle, view it on street and satellite maps and even find out whether it’s stopped or moving, its speed and the vehicle’s odometer reading.
Tracker – Sales Consultant
079 506 3444