Posts

Lawyer withdraws from Rhodes Park case

5a3274a91639415cb2745c3b62e9fa08

2015-12-09 19:12

Mpho Raborife, News24

Johannesburg – A lawyer has withdrawn from representing one of the men facing rape and murder charges after allegedly attacking two couples at Rhodes Park in Kensington in October, the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court heard.

On Wednesday afternoon, 24-year-old Thabo Nkala said he had told the court on a previous occasion that he could not afford to pay for a lawyer.

This was after prosecutor, Colleen Ryan, told the court Nkala’s legal representative had opted to withdraw from the matter.

Nkala, who had shaved off his dreadlocks and was smartly dressed in a formal white shirt and black trousers, was appearing for the first time with his co-accused, Admore Ndlovu, 22, who wore a navy blue and gold golf shirt and beige pants.

The matter was postponed to February 8 for further investigation. Both would be represented by a Legal Aid lawyer.

In October, a gang of 12 men allegedly attacked two couples who had gone to the park after a church service in central Johannesburg.

They accosted the couples and beat the two men. They stripped the men and tied their hands and feet with their clothes before throwing them in the lake where they drowned.

One of the women was raped while the other escaped without any physical harm.

Nkala and Ndlovu were arrested in October and November respectively, they have been provisionally charged with two counts of murder, two counts of rape as well as aggravated robbery.

It is understood that both men have not applied for bail because they entered South Africa illegally.

Joburg man shoots intruder dead

November 20 2015 at 08:06pm 3935693930
By Kate Morrissey

Johannesburg – Yet another Joburg family has fought back against robbers who gained entry to their property, shooting one of them in the head.

A shoot-out ensued at a Hyde Park home on Thursday afternoon after a man in his forties noticed four men wearing black balaclavas entering his yard.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer Moses Maphakela said the man first saw the intruders trying to open his gate at about 2pm. When they eventually gained entry, he screamed, prompting a second man to emerge from the house.

“The robbers began shooting at the two men, and the second man shot back,” said Maphakela.

“One of the man’s bullets struck one of the robbers in the head. The suspects realised they were in trouble and fled in an Audi A4.”

From Hyde Park, the men drove their accomplice to Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital, dumping him outside before fleeing.

“They just left him there,” said Maphakela.

The wounded robber, a 30-year-old man, died at the hospital. Upon hearing that one of the robbers had been hurt in the crossfire, police had sent officers to every hospital in town to track him down. Police later recovered the getaway car, which had been reported stolen earlier this month.

Maphakela said the passenger side of the car was riddled with bullet holes and blood covered the backseat.

Police also found a 9mm gun which appears to have been dropped by one of the suspects as they fled. Its serial number had been filed off.

The three suspects are still at large, but police have opened cases of attempted robbery and attempted murder and are investigating.

This is not the first time Joburg residents have fought back against would-be robbers.

One afternoon in August, several men tried to rob a home in Kibler Park belonging to a married couple who happened to be police officers.

The couple realised what was happening in time to position themselves, armed, at the front door and a window.

When one of the men came in, he looked straight into the barrel of a gun. As he ran away, the wife shot him in the legs and genitals. His accomplices, who fled, were later apprehended in a botched getaway.

This was just a month after three men broke into a home in Glenvista belonging to a couple in their fifties in the middle of the night.

The intruders were not prepared for the wife who slept with a gun under her pillow. She shot both of the robbers who entered her bedroom. One died at the scene while the other managed to make it to the patio before he, too, died.

 

 

 

Rhodes Park horror: another man held

 

3814348297

 

Johannesburg – A second person has been arrested in connection with the Rhodes Park horror incident where two men were killed after being drowned and one of the wives raped.

The 22-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday in Yeoville and is expected to make his first appearance at the Joburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning.

He is believed to be part of a 12-man gang that attacked two couples. The men were killed and one of the women raped.

Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini of the provincial police said the man faces charges of murder and rape.

This arrest comes a week after the arrest of Zimbabwean Thabo Nkala two weeks ago. Nkala has allegedly confessed to his role in the matter.

He was also taken to the scene of the crime where he allegedly did the pointing out under the watchful eye of the police.

His court case was postponed so that it could be determined if he was in South Africa legally.

Nkala and his co-perpetrators allegedly attacked Zukisa Kela and Sizwe Tyeke who were walking in the park with their partners.

Kela and Tyeke were stripped, beaten and their hands were tied with their own clothes before being thrown into the dam where they drowned.

One of the 12 men raped Kela’s wife, Jabu Mbatha, while another man sexually assaulted Tyeke’s wife.

The group of men is believed to have escaped using a drain at the park.

Dlamini said the hunt was still on for the other 10 men.

November 12 2015 at 09:36am
By BOTHO MOLOSANKWE

Cop shot while patrolling Joburg highway

By Genevieve Quintal, News24COP

Johannesburg – A female sergeant was shot and wounded when the occupants of a BMW opened fire on police patrolling the Golden Highway in Johannesburg on Monday.

“Members of the flying squad were patrolling on the Golden Highway when they saw a suspicious vehicle,” Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said.

“When they tried to stop the vehicle, the occupants just opened fire at the police officers.”

There were three police officers in the car. The female officer, who was shot in the upper body, was sitting in the back seat, said Dlamini.

She was rushed to hospital.

The other two officers were not hurt.

Dlamini said the BMW was found abandoned in Thokoza Park, Soweto.

The suspects were still at large.

News24

Rhodes Park suspect confessed – claim

2485138130November 2 2015 at 09:21am
By Shain Germaner

Johannesburg – A 24-year-old suspect linked to the double murder and rape attack at Rhodes Park appears to have already confessed to his role in the brutal crimes.

Last month, two couples who were visiting the Kensington park were attacked by a group of 12 men.

It’s understood that the group of criminals raped one of the women, tied up the two men and threw them in the nearby lake, forcing their lovers to watch as they drowned.

On Sunday, a man believed to have been arrested for the murders on Friday was seen accompanied by the police in the area.

Shackled around the ankles to prevent him from escaping, The Star observed as a man directed officers towards the opening to the massive drain system that runs beneath the park, and the attached ladder the alleged killer gang had used to climb down into the drain.

This was how the gang allegedly escaped after the crime.

Copy of ST sec  Rhodes Park_6241.JPG

 A source close to the investigation confirmed that the shackled man seen by The Star apparently pointing out the crime scene was the same man arrested on Friday in connection with the murders.

The man, according to the source, pointed out the crime scene and the entrances to the park that were used on the day, as well as the group’s escape route.

“He has already admitted what he did,” the source told The Star.

Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini confirmed that the man seen by The Star was the one arrested on Friday morning and that he had been taken to the park on Sunday as part of the investigation.

He said the man had been detained in Yeoville for questioning, and that after interviewing him, police had taken a decision to charge him with murder, attempted murder and rape.

He was expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday morning.

While it’s understood this man could potentially lead investigators to the other suspects, no other arrests were made at the weekend.

“Police are still appealing to anyone who may have information on the whereabouts of the (other) suspects to come forward. Information can be forwarded to Crime Stop on 08600 10111 at all hours,” Dlamini said.

Members of the I Love Kensington Association were elated by the arrest.

The association’s Tony de Munnik said he could confirm that a man was arrested in Yeoville through the co-operation of the local community.

“This is some good news from a very angry community, who are determined to keep our space safe and clean,” he said.

Since the attack, the young woman who was raped has spoken with numerous media publications and broadcasters about what had happened.

According to the woman, two of the men walked past the couples before another 10 men surrounded them from the other side.

The first two, brandishing guns, told the couples to lie on the ground. When they complied, the men began searching them and took their valuables.

It was after this that the attackers then allegedly put their hands under the women’s skirts and sexually assaulted them.

The women were then instructed to take off their clothes, and their breasts were fondled and “searched”, allegedly because the men believed they could be hiding more valuables.

The attackers then allegedly said that because they couldn’t find any money, they would throw the men in the water.

“The one said I mustn’t look at him, and he raped me,” the woman said. – Additional reporting by Anna Cox

Police hunt for female rapists

3020775484

October 13 2015 at 08:03pm
By ANA Reporter

Kagisho police near Kimberley have appealed to the public to assist in identifying the women following the alleged incident last month.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Olebogeng Tawana said that on 25 September, women thought to be “aged between 20 and 30, dark in complexion, 1.6 and 1.7 metre tall, were allegedly driving in a silver hatched back VW Polo with Limpopo registration number plates, in the area of Retswelele in Galeshewe”.

Tawana said: “The women introduced themselves as Barbara, Rolufu and Daphney. It is alleged that they stopped near a house in Retswelele, asking for a direction to the Kimberley city centre.

“A 32-year-old man willingly directed them in the direction to drive to the Kimberley city centre. However, they deceptively asked the man to accompany them until into the city centre, as they will give him a taxi fare back to his house in Retswelele where they had picked him up.

While they were driving towards the city centre, they offered the man a glass of wine, which he is suspicious that the women might have spiked it. He subsequently passed out after drinking it.

“The next moment when he woke up he found himself in bed at a guesthouse in Lichtenburg, in North- West Province. He was offered tablets to drink by the women, and afterwards they took turns to rape him repeatedly. The man alleged that the women kept him in a guesthouse for three days and raped him.”

Tawana called on anyone with information about the women on the identikit, to contact the investigating officer Sergeant Daniel Satisfied at 053 8076 161 or 083 9400 503.

The investigation continues.

ANA