Posts

Man shot dead in shoot-out with cops

921008447

December 6 2015 at 11:19am
By ANA Reporter

Durban – A man possibly linked to police killings and the Seven Oaks shoot-out with police was shot dead in another shoot-out with police in KwaMashu, Durban, while his alleged accomplice was arrested, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Sunday.

KwaMashu police were patrolling KwaMashu and surrounding areas at about 5.30pm on Saturday when they received information about suspects in possession of unlicensed firearms at KwaMashu men’s hostel, spokesman Major Thulani Zwane said.

The officers called for back-up from the Durban flying squad, K9 unit, and Inanda police cluster task team, and an operation was launched, he said. “A house was identified at the hostel and there were more than 15 suspects inside.

“It was penetrated and when the suspects noticed that they were approached by the police, one of them fired shots towards the members and the members retaliated, fatally wounding him.

“A 9mm pistol was found in his possession and the second suspect was also arrested after he was found in possession of a CZ 7.5mm pistol with ammunition. Both suspects are suspected to be involved in police killing in KwaMashu and were part of the gang that escaped from [the] Seven Oaks shooting at Greytown last month,” Zwane said.

The arrested man, 23, was charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition and would appear in the Ntuzuma Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Zwane said that in a separate incident on Saturday, Phoenix tactical response team members were patrolling in the KwaDukuza area when they followed up information about a suspicious vehicle in the area. A vehicle fitting the description was spotted and stopped. “The driver was searched and was found in possession of a 9mm pistol with ammunition.” It was established that the vehicle was earlier reported stolen in the Hillcrest area.

“On further investigation, the suspect took the members to his homestead at Maphumulo area where they recovered two AK47 assault rifles and ammunition hidden under his bed.

The suspect, 35, was charged accordingly and will appear in the KwaDukuza Magistrate’s Court [on Monday on charges of] possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, as well as possession of [a] suspected stolen vehicle,” Zwane said.

KwaZulu-Natal police commissioner Lt-Gen Mmamonnye Ngobeni welcomed the arrests and the recovery of unlicensed firearms. “These firearms will be sent for ballistic tests to establish if they were used in any other crimes in the province.

“Our detectives will work tirelessly to establish if the suspect arrested in KwaDukuza is not linked to the killing of taxi owners in the province,” she said.

Guard killed in Polokwane mall robbery

2543391455

November 25 2015 at 07:26pm
By ANA Reporter

Polokwane – A mall in Polokwane was closed on Wednesday after armed robbers shot and killed a security guard near a jewellery store. Two suspects were arrested by police.

Police said a group of armed robbers entered the jewellery store, robbed a client and the shop of an undisclosed amount of cash, and when fleeing the scene, shot a guard who was walking along the mall corridor.

Police spokesperson Captain Ntobeng Phala said: “The suspects came out running from the shop and the guard was on the corridor, walking and when he notice the robbery he attempted to grab one suspect and was shot.”

The guard was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

Phala said they were still verifying the value of the jewellery that was stolen during the heist.

Eyewitnesses said the guard was walking from the shop where he had just bought his lunch when the incident took place. A 2 litre Coke, sliced polony and a loaf of bread could be seen lying close to his body.

Phala said the security officer was not attached to the store but had been contracted to the mall company.

He said two suspects were arrested after they were linked to the crime through surveillance investigations.

“We found them hiding somewhere along the road, it appears their co-suspects left them behind when they fled the scene,” said Phala.

Other suspects allegedly fled in a white Hilux bakkie, but Phala said preliminary investigations showed that the bakkie had a false registration number plate.

Our investigations shows that the registration number was of a BMW, which means that the suspects had a false number plate,” he said.

Joburg man shoots intruder dead

November 20 2015 at 08:06pm 3935693930
By Kate Morrissey

Johannesburg – Yet another Joburg family has fought back against robbers who gained entry to their property, shooting one of them in the head.

A shoot-out ensued at a Hyde Park home on Thursday afternoon after a man in his forties noticed four men wearing black balaclavas entering his yard.

Police spokesman Warrant Officer Moses Maphakela said the man first saw the intruders trying to open his gate at about 2pm. When they eventually gained entry, he screamed, prompting a second man to emerge from the house.

“The robbers began shooting at the two men, and the second man shot back,” said Maphakela.

“One of the man’s bullets struck one of the robbers in the head. The suspects realised they were in trouble and fled in an Audi A4.”

From Hyde Park, the men drove their accomplice to Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital, dumping him outside before fleeing.

“They just left him there,” said Maphakela.

The wounded robber, a 30-year-old man, died at the hospital. Upon hearing that one of the robbers had been hurt in the crossfire, police had sent officers to every hospital in town to track him down. Police later recovered the getaway car, which had been reported stolen earlier this month.

Maphakela said the passenger side of the car was riddled with bullet holes and blood covered the backseat.

Police also found a 9mm gun which appears to have been dropped by one of the suspects as they fled. Its serial number had been filed off.

The three suspects are still at large, but police have opened cases of attempted robbery and attempted murder and are investigating.

This is not the first time Joburg residents have fought back against would-be robbers.

One afternoon in August, several men tried to rob a home in Kibler Park belonging to a married couple who happened to be police officers.

The couple realised what was happening in time to position themselves, armed, at the front door and a window.

When one of the men came in, he looked straight into the barrel of a gun. As he ran away, the wife shot him in the legs and genitals. His accomplices, who fled, were later apprehended in a botched getaway.

This was just a month after three men broke into a home in Glenvista belonging to a couple in their fifties in the middle of the night.

The intruders were not prepared for the wife who slept with a gun under her pillow. She shot both of the robbers who entered her bedroom. One died at the scene while the other managed to make it to the patio before he, too, died.

 

 

 

Multimillionaire ‘mastermind’ gunned down

560563911

Johannesburg – A man notorious for orchestrating multiple multimillion-rand bank heists was killed execution-style in Pretoria on Sunday night.

In what appears to have been an assassination plot, Monare Ignatius Selokwane “Junior 13” was gunned down in a drive-by shooting outside his butchery and grill business in Mamelodi at about 9pm.

He was shot several times in the upper body, said Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini.

Dlamini could not provide further details on Monday morning, saying only that Selokwane’s bullet-riddled body lay next to his Toyota Hilux after the shooting, and that he was confirmed dead at the scene.

The multimillionaire taxi boss has made headlines over the years, with the police linking him to a string of crimes.

He was expected to appear in the high court in Pretoria next month in connection with the 2012 murder of another man, but Dlamini declined to give details on the case.

For bank robberies alone, Selokwane and others believed to be members of his gang stand accused of robbing banks of over R100 million in the Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal.

The Star has reported that this particular gang used grinders and an assortment of weapons to rob banks around the country of millions.

This included the robbery of R26.8m from a Nelspruit bank in 2003 – the most elaborate bank robbery in the history of South Africa.

Three years after this monumental robbery, the police had only managed to recover R1.5m of the stolen loot.

Meanwhile, Selokwane was also allegedly a prime suspect in the R12m FNB bank robberies which took place in Port Elizabeth late that same year.

Dlamini was unable to confirm if police recovered all the money that was stolen in the bank robberies Selokwane was linked to.

Although the alleged criminal mastermind was arrested on several occasions and was facing a string of charges, he managed to evade conviction.

In 2006, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) was accused of bungling a case after charges against Selokwane and nine others were dropped in a Mpumalanga court.

Apart from separate charges of corruption, the businessman was also accused of stealing cars, falsifying documents and then selling the vehicles.

Throughout his time under the police radar, Selokwane is believed to have been composed during raids at his house as well as during his appearances in court.

In one of the raids at his Kyalami Estate home in 2003, The Star observed that he remained unperturbed, even audaciously offering tea to surprised members of the Asset Forfeiture Unit who swooped on his house.

This was despite the fact that the Asset Forfeiture Unit attached goods worth R6m at Selokwane’s double-storey mansion.

They also raided his parents’ Mamelodi home.

NPA spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku could not comment on Monday morning on Selokwane’s pending cases, saying he needed to first check with the Pretoria office.

Meanwhile, tributes poured in for Selokwane on Facebook, with some social media users hailing him as a hero and others saying he got what he deserved, with comments like: “You live by the gun, you die by the gun.”

His profile was deactivated.

November 9 2015 at 11:42am
By Karishma Dipa

ARMED ROBBERS STORM CHILD’S PARTY AT SANDTON FIRE STATION

JOHANNESBURG – Parents who were victims of a robbery at a children’s party at the Sandton Fire Department on Saturday say they believe they were intentionally targeted.

A group of about 35 children and 40 adults were held at gunpoint during the party and jewellery and other valuables were taken from them.

Johannesburg Emergency Services has confirmed the incident and say police are investigating.
Parents say they feel violated that they were targeted while at their most vulnerable. It’s understood the CCTV cameras weren’t working, the perpetrators knew there was a party at the venue, there were no firemen on site and the person manning the call room claimed to not have a panic button, airtime or the police’s phone number.

One man says he tried to call 10111 three times during the incident, but the number went unanswered.

“I saw one of the fathers diving for cover and then I looked up and saw a guy coming towards us with a gun. We just gathered the kids. The guy came and took
earrings from one of the ladies. When I noticed he wasn’t around I took out my phone and tried to phone 10111.”

Johannesburg Emergency Services says it’s reserving its comment on the allegations while police investigations are underway.

(Edited by Tamsin Wort)