Posts

An accolade for work well done

KILLARNEY – The residents’ association wins an award for excellent work done on 4th Street.

The Killarney-Riviera Association, together with members of the community, have made the park on 4th Street desirable.

The new Killarney-Riviera Association was recently honoured by the South African Planning Institute with a National Planning Award for the revamped park situated on 4th street.

The association, together with some members of the community, put their heads and hands together to plant trees, install a netball post, a jungle gym and a sandpit to make the park desirable.

“The award was in recognition of the efforts over the years to improve our public spaces, in particular, our adoption of the municipal park in 4th street,” said Wayne Ford, chairman of the Killarney-Riviera Association.

“The jungle gym and sandpit were paid for with donations received from residents specifically for this purpose, and the netball post was funded with a donation from the Killarney Mall. We are seeking to expand the playground further,” Ford added.

According to the chairman, Nomsa Nene Properties, an estate agency which specialises in the area, sponsored the building of a drinking fountain with a basin for pets and Drew Lindsay, a Johannesburg-based artist, added artwork.

Ward 73 councillor, Mia Snyman praised the association for the award and their hard work to turn the park into a fun space. She said the park was now a calm, beautiful and interesting place for adults to meet, read and relax. “The enthusiasm and commitment have been impeccable. I will make sure that City Parks plays its part to maintain the park.”

Treasurer of the South African Planning Institute, Aurobindo Ogra awards Wayne Ford, chairman of the Killarney-Riviera Association with a planning award for the revamps done at the park on 4th Street.

Ford said they had embarked on a number of projects to ensure that the park remains in excellent condition. These include having a gardener in the park, which is sponsored by Pam Golding Properties and a park ambassador sponsored by Vision Tactical Security who ensures the safety and peace of mind in the park.

“We also hire a street sweeper who cleans the main pedestrian routes in the area five days a week,” said Ford.

“In addition, we are continually in communication with the ward councillors, and with the various municipal departments and the police, to maintain and improve infrastructure and to improve security and the enforcement of the bylaws.”

Third arrest after Rhodes Park horror

3814348297

 

21 December 2015 at 09:08am

Johannesburg – A third suspect has been arrested in connection with the Rhodes Park rape and murders.

A 33-year-old man was nabbed on Friday in Sunnyside Park, Pretoria, according to Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini.

Two other suspects, aged 22 and 24, were arrested – one in October and the other last month.

“The two men, identified as Edmor Ndlovu and Thabo Nkala, have already been charged and also appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court last week,” Dlamini said.

The third man was expected to appear in the same court on Monday on charges of rape and murder.

All three men are believed to have been part of a gang of 12 who killed two men and raped a woman at Rhodes Park in Kensington on October 17.

At the time, Dlamini said the two men and their wives were walking in the park when they were confronted by a group of men. The suspects allegedly tied up both men and threw them into the dam at the park, where they drowned. One of their wives was raped but the other woman managed to escape.

“It is alleged that one of the suspects was armed with a handgun,” Dlamini said.

“A reward of up to R100 000 will be offered to anyone who comes forward with information that may lead to the arrest and conviction of the other men who police are still looking for,” Dlamini said.

Anyone with information should call Warrant Officer Bruce van der Schyff on 082 651 7769 at all hours.

Information can also be forwarded to Crime Stop at 08600 10111 at all hours.

Lawyer withdraws from Rhodes Park case

5a3274a91639415cb2745c3b62e9fa08

2015-12-09 19:12

Mpho Raborife, News24

Johannesburg – A lawyer has withdrawn from representing one of the men facing rape and murder charges after allegedly attacking two couples at Rhodes Park in Kensington in October, the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court heard.

On Wednesday afternoon, 24-year-old Thabo Nkala said he had told the court on a previous occasion that he could not afford to pay for a lawyer.

This was after prosecutor, Colleen Ryan, told the court Nkala’s legal representative had opted to withdraw from the matter.

Nkala, who had shaved off his dreadlocks and was smartly dressed in a formal white shirt and black trousers, was appearing for the first time with his co-accused, Admore Ndlovu, 22, who wore a navy blue and gold golf shirt and beige pants.

The matter was postponed to February 8 for further investigation. Both would be represented by a Legal Aid lawyer.

In October, a gang of 12 men allegedly attacked two couples who had gone to the park after a church service in central Johannesburg.

They accosted the couples and beat the two men. They stripped the men and tied their hands and feet with their clothes before throwing them in the lake where they drowned.

One of the women was raped while the other escaped without any physical harm.

Nkala and Ndlovu were arrested in October and November respectively, they have been provisionally charged with two counts of murder, two counts of rape as well as aggravated robbery.

It is understood that both men have not applied for bail because they entered South Africa illegally.

Rhodes Park case: identikits released

December 1 2015 at 01:09pm 2168495714

By Staff reporter

Johannesburg – Police have released the identikits of three men they say may be able to assist with the investigation into the Rhodes Park murder case.

Police are also offering a reward of up to R100 000 for information that may lead to the arrest and conviction of six suspects wanted in connection with the murder and rape cases at Rhodes Park.

Two suspects who have already been charged are due to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on December 9.

The men are suspected of being part of a gang that attacked two couples as they strolled inside Rhodes Park in Kensington.

The gang allegedly tied the men up, threw them into the lake and left them to drown.

The gang then allegedly raped one of the women. The other woman managed to escape before they could get to her.

Anyone with information may contact the investigating officer, Warrant Officer Bruce van der Schyff, on 082 651 7769 at all hours or Crime Stop at 08600 10111 at all hours.

SAPS hunts Rhodes Park gang of 12

a34rhodes1Cleveland SAPS is investigating two counts of murder and one count of rape following Saturday’s shocking attack involving a gang of 12 men at Rhodes Park in Kensington.

The EXPRESS reported last night (read here) that at 6.45pm on Saturday, two couples were at the park when they were attacked by a group of 12 suspects.

Since the EXPRESS’ initial reports (read here) last night, more details have been provided by the SAPS indicating one woman was raped by one man.

“Two men, accompanied by their girlfriends, were walking at the park, when they were approached by the group of men,” said Constable Mpho Mashakane from Cleveland SAPS.

One man carried a firearm and a second man carried a knife.

The two men, who had visited the park with their girlfriends, were tied up with their clothes and thrown into the lake.

“One of the suspects raped one female victim. The bodies of the two male victims, aged 25 and 32, were later found by police divers,” said Constable Mashakane.

Community members have since taken to social media platforms expressing shock and calling on council for safer public parks.