Posts

Cop shot while patrolling Joburg highway

By Genevieve Quintal, News24COP

Johannesburg – A female sergeant was shot and wounded when the occupants of a BMW opened fire on police patrolling the Golden Highway in Johannesburg on Monday.

“Members of the flying squad were patrolling on the Golden Highway when they saw a suspicious vehicle,” Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said.

“When they tried to stop the vehicle, the occupants just opened fire at the police officers.”

There were three police officers in the car. The female officer, who was shot in the upper body, was sitting in the back seat, said Dlamini.

She was rushed to hospital.

The other two officers were not hurt.

Dlamini said the BMW was found abandoned in Thokoza Park, Soweto.

The suspects were still at large.

News24

Task team to track down cop killers

November 5 2015 at 06:00pm

By Molaole Montsho

Rustenburg – A task team has been established to investigate the murder of a policeman shot and killed in Bapong near Brits, North West acting provincial 1308735671commissioner Major General Jacob Tsumane said on Thursday.

“I have established a team lead by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks), to probe this case. The team will not rest until those who are responsible are brought to book,” he said during his visit to the family of Constable Johannes Mokotedi.

The 36-year-old Mokotedi was gunned down when armed gunmen fired at him at the YaRona mall on Wednesday afternoon. The group had just robbed a clothing shop in the mall before they saw Mokotedi in a marked police van with some of his colleagues.

Two of the men fired several shots in the direction of the police, hitting Mokotedi in head. He died instantly. The robbers then sped off.

Tsumane condemned the incident and conveyed his condolences to the family.

“We will ensure that the surviving members receive the necessary support,” said Tsumane.

“No arrest has been made. We are following positive leads,” said North West police spokesperson Captain Paul Ramaloko.

He said Mokotedi was the first police officer to be killed in the line of duty in the North West province this year. He is survived by his wife and two children, aged 6 and 8.

Rhodes Park suspect confessed – claim

2485138130November 2 2015 at 09:21am
By Shain Germaner

Johannesburg – A 24-year-old suspect linked to the double murder and rape attack at Rhodes Park appears to have already confessed to his role in the brutal crimes.

Last month, two couples who were visiting the Kensington park were attacked by a group of 12 men.

It’s understood that the group of criminals raped one of the women, tied up the two men and threw them in the nearby lake, forcing their lovers to watch as they drowned.

On Sunday, a man believed to have been arrested for the murders on Friday was seen accompanied by the police in the area.

Shackled around the ankles to prevent him from escaping, The Star observed as a man directed officers towards the opening to the massive drain system that runs beneath the park, and the attached ladder the alleged killer gang had used to climb down into the drain.

This was how the gang allegedly escaped after the crime.

Copy of ST sec  Rhodes Park_6241.JPG

 A source close to the investigation confirmed that the shackled man seen by The Star apparently pointing out the crime scene was the same man arrested on Friday in connection with the murders.

The man, according to the source, pointed out the crime scene and the entrances to the park that were used on the day, as well as the group’s escape route.

“He has already admitted what he did,” the source told The Star.

Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini confirmed that the man seen by The Star was the one arrested on Friday morning and that he had been taken to the park on Sunday as part of the investigation.

He said the man had been detained in Yeoville for questioning, and that after interviewing him, police had taken a decision to charge him with murder, attempted murder and rape.

He was expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday morning.

While it’s understood this man could potentially lead investigators to the other suspects, no other arrests were made at the weekend.

“Police are still appealing to anyone who may have information on the whereabouts of the (other) suspects to come forward. Information can be forwarded to Crime Stop on 08600 10111 at all hours,” Dlamini said.

Members of the I Love Kensington Association were elated by the arrest.

The association’s Tony de Munnik said he could confirm that a man was arrested in Yeoville through the co-operation of the local community.

“This is some good news from a very angry community, who are determined to keep our space safe and clean,” he said.

Since the attack, the young woman who was raped has spoken with numerous media publications and broadcasters about what had happened.

According to the woman, two of the men walked past the couples before another 10 men surrounded them from the other side.

The first two, brandishing guns, told the couples to lie on the ground. When they complied, the men began searching them and took their valuables.

It was after this that the attackers then allegedly put their hands under the women’s skirts and sexually assaulted them.

The women were then instructed to take off their clothes, and their breasts were fondled and “searched”, allegedly because the men believed they could be hiding more valuables.

The attackers then allegedly said that because they couldn’t find any money, they would throw the men in the water.

“The one said I mustn’t look at him, and he raped me,” the woman said. – Additional reporting by Anna Cox

ARMED ROBBERS STORM CHILD’S PARTY AT SANDTON FIRE STATION

JOHANNESBURG – Parents who were victims of a robbery at a children’s party at the Sandton Fire Department on Saturday say they believe they were intentionally targeted.

A group of about 35 children and 40 adults were held at gunpoint during the party and jewellery and other valuables were taken from them.

Johannesburg Emergency Services has confirmed the incident and say police are investigating.
Parents say they feel violated that they were targeted while at their most vulnerable. It’s understood the CCTV cameras weren’t working, the perpetrators knew there was a party at the venue, there were no firemen on site and the person manning the call room claimed to not have a panic button, airtime or the police’s phone number.

One man says he tried to call 10111 three times during the incident, but the number went unanswered.

“I saw one of the fathers diving for cover and then I looked up and saw a guy coming towards us with a gun. We just gathered the kids. The guy came and took
earrings from one of the ladies. When I noticed he wasn’t around I took out my phone and tried to phone 10111.”

Johannesburg Emergency Services says it’s reserving its comment on the allegations while police investigations are underway.

(Edited by Tamsin Wort)

SAPS hunts Rhodes Park gang of 12

a34rhodes1Cleveland SAPS is investigating two counts of murder and one count of rape following Saturday’s shocking attack involving a gang of 12 men at Rhodes Park in Kensington.

The EXPRESS reported last night (read here) that at 6.45pm on Saturday, two couples were at the park when they were attacked by a group of 12 suspects.

Since the EXPRESS’ initial reports (read here) last night, more details have been provided by the SAPS indicating one woman was raped by one man.

“Two men, accompanied by their girlfriends, were walking at the park, when they were approached by the group of men,” said Constable Mpho Mashakane from Cleveland SAPS.

One man carried a firearm and a second man carried a knife.

The two men, who had visited the park with their girlfriends, were tied up with their clothes and thrown into the lake.

“One of the suspects raped one female victim. The bodies of the two male victims, aged 25 and 32, were later found by police divers,” said Constable Mashakane.

Community members have since taken to social media platforms expressing shock and calling on council for safer public parks.

Police hunt for female rapists

3020775484

October 13 2015 at 08:03pm
By ANA Reporter

Kagisho police near Kimberley have appealed to the public to assist in identifying the women following the alleged incident last month.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Olebogeng Tawana said that on 25 September, women thought to be “aged between 20 and 30, dark in complexion, 1.6 and 1.7 metre tall, were allegedly driving in a silver hatched back VW Polo with Limpopo registration number plates, in the area of Retswelele in Galeshewe”.

Tawana said: “The women introduced themselves as Barbara, Rolufu and Daphney. It is alleged that they stopped near a house in Retswelele, asking for a direction to the Kimberley city centre.

“A 32-year-old man willingly directed them in the direction to drive to the Kimberley city centre. However, they deceptively asked the man to accompany them until into the city centre, as they will give him a taxi fare back to his house in Retswelele where they had picked him up.

While they were driving towards the city centre, they offered the man a glass of wine, which he is suspicious that the women might have spiked it. He subsequently passed out after drinking it.

“The next moment when he woke up he found himself in bed at a guesthouse in Lichtenburg, in North- West Province. He was offered tablets to drink by the women, and afterwards they took turns to rape him repeatedly. The man alleged that the women kept him in a guesthouse for three days and raped him.”

Tawana called on anyone with information about the women on the identikit, to contact the investigating officer Sergeant Daniel Satisfied at 053 8076 161 or 083 9400 503.

The investigation continues.

ANA