Posts

Rhodes Park suspect confessed – claim

2485138130November 2 2015 at 09:21am
By Shain Germaner

Johannesburg – A 24-year-old suspect linked to the double murder and rape attack at Rhodes Park appears to have already confessed to his role in the brutal crimes.

Last month, two couples who were visiting the Kensington park were attacked by a group of 12 men.

It’s understood that the group of criminals raped one of the women, tied up the two men and threw them in the nearby lake, forcing their lovers to watch as they drowned.

On Sunday, a man believed to have been arrested for the murders on Friday was seen accompanied by the police in the area.

Shackled around the ankles to prevent him from escaping, The Star observed as a man directed officers towards the opening to the massive drain system that runs beneath the park, and the attached ladder the alleged killer gang had used to climb down into the drain.

This was how the gang allegedly escaped after the crime.

Copy of ST sec  Rhodes Park_6241.JPG

 A source close to the investigation confirmed that the shackled man seen by The Star apparently pointing out the crime scene was the same man arrested on Friday in connection with the murders.

The man, according to the source, pointed out the crime scene and the entrances to the park that were used on the day, as well as the group’s escape route.

“He has already admitted what he did,” the source told The Star.

Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini confirmed that the man seen by The Star was the one arrested on Friday morning and that he had been taken to the park on Sunday as part of the investigation.

He said the man had been detained in Yeoville for questioning, and that after interviewing him, police had taken a decision to charge him with murder, attempted murder and rape.

He was expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday morning.

While it’s understood this man could potentially lead investigators to the other suspects, no other arrests were made at the weekend.

“Police are still appealing to anyone who may have information on the whereabouts of the (other) suspects to come forward. Information can be forwarded to Crime Stop on 08600 10111 at all hours,” Dlamini said.

Members of the I Love Kensington Association were elated by the arrest.

The association’s Tony de Munnik said he could confirm that a man was arrested in Yeoville through the co-operation of the local community.

“This is some good news from a very angry community, who are determined to keep our space safe and clean,” he said.

Since the attack, the young woman who was raped has spoken with numerous media publications and broadcasters about what had happened.

According to the woman, two of the men walked past the couples before another 10 men surrounded them from the other side.

The first two, brandishing guns, told the couples to lie on the ground. When they complied, the men began searching them and took their valuables.

It was after this that the attackers then allegedly put their hands under the women’s skirts and sexually assaulted them.

The women were then instructed to take off their clothes, and their breasts were fondled and “searched”, allegedly because the men believed they could be hiding more valuables.

The attackers then allegedly said that because they couldn’t find any money, they would throw the men in the water.

“The one said I mustn’t look at him, and he raped me,” the woman said. – Additional reporting by Anna Cox

ARMED ROBBERS STORM CHILD’S PARTY AT SANDTON FIRE STATION

JOHANNESBURG – Parents who were victims of a robbery at a children’s party at the Sandton Fire Department on Saturday say they believe they were intentionally targeted.

A group of about 35 children and 40 adults were held at gunpoint during the party and jewellery and other valuables were taken from them.

Johannesburg Emergency Services has confirmed the incident and say police are investigating.
Parents say they feel violated that they were targeted while at their most vulnerable. It’s understood the CCTV cameras weren’t working, the perpetrators knew there was a party at the venue, there were no firemen on site and the person manning the call room claimed to not have a panic button, airtime or the police’s phone number.

One man says he tried to call 10111 three times during the incident, but the number went unanswered.

“I saw one of the fathers diving for cover and then I looked up and saw a guy coming towards us with a gun. We just gathered the kids. The guy came and took
earrings from one of the ladies. When I noticed he wasn’t around I took out my phone and tried to phone 10111.”

Johannesburg Emergency Services says it’s reserving its comment on the allegations while police investigations are underway.

(Edited by Tamsin Wort)

Don’t make yourself a target

policevest_19059

Captain Pinky Tsinyane explained, “Gauteng 10111 receives roughly 10 301 calls in 24 hours, and at the end of the month, the numbers do increase a lot. While 10111 does all it can to ensure complaints are attended to by police, community members are urged to take note that policing is everyone’s responsibility – be vigilant at all times.”

Residents can make communities safer by practicing the following:

  •  Never walk around alone and do not talk to strangers
  •  Be on the lookout for strange cars or people and avoid getting into vehicles of people you do not know
  • Walk in well-lit streets with other people around and in a group, if possible
  •  Make sure your home is secure and become a member of an armed response service. Be sure that you know all the emergency numbers or have them displayed in an accessible area
  •  Always let someone know where you are going and how long you will be gone. But think twice before advertising your impending absence on social media, criminals also have access to Facebook and Twitter
  •  Avoid using congested streets where you cannot even walk properly, that is where you will find criminals pickpocketing
  •  Avoid displaying valuables where criminals can see them.

http://rosebankkillarneygazette.co.za/170475/dont-make-yourself-a-target/

 

‘AN ATTACK ON THE POLICE IS AN ATTACK ON THE NATION’

JOHANNESBURG – As the Hawks probe the murder of one of President Jacob Zuma’s bodyguards, the watchdog says an attack on a police officer is an attack on the nation.

It’s understood 42-year-old sergeant Mzwakhe Magwaza, who was stationed at Nkandla and part of the presidential protection unit, was asleep when a group of men set his house alight yesterday morning before shooting him.

Hawks spokesperson Robert Netshiunda says a man hunt has been launched.

“The killing on one police officer is the killing of the entire service, because we are trying our best to protect the properties of the people and the state of the people. So when one member is killed, it affects the entire police force.”

At least 60 police officers have been killed in the past 12 months alone.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)

OFF-DUTY COP SHOT DEAD IN KHAYELITSHA

Lauren Isaacs & Monique Mortlock

CAPE TOWN – An off-duty police officer has been shot and killed in Khayelitsha.

The constable was shot dead in Harare on Tuesday night.

It’s believed robbery was the motive.

The police’s Andre Traut says, “Last night at approximately 8pm, an off-duty police officer aged 37 was shot and killed while he was sitting in his private vehicle on the grounds of a primary school in Harare.”

Meanwhile, Bedfordview police are searching for a gang of men who opened fire on an Ekurhuleni Metro officer on Tuesday.

It’s understood the officer was approached on the corner of Van Buuren and Van der Linde by suspects carrying a nine millimetre pistol and an AK47.

They started shooting, but the officer managed to escape unharmed.

The police’s Mduduzi Nhlabathi says, “As soon as he saw that he was being shot at, he also shot them back. We’re investigating currently, and the motive is unknown.”

Three life terms for brutal serial rapist

1239456022

 

October 22 2015 at 09:25am
By Zelda Venter

Pretoria – “As you stand here to serve a long sentence, you must remember that you did not conquer your victims, as your liberty will be taken away for a very long time.”

This was the message from Judge Jody Kollapen, of the North Gauteng High Court, on Wednesday as he sentenced serial rapist Isaac Dibetso to three life terms as well as a further 188 years behind bars.

Dibetso showed no emotion as the judge gave him a tongue-lashing. “The manner in which you dealt with these women is shocking… You treated them like objects… You seem to think that because you are a man, you can do as you please.”

Dibetso raped eight women – in three cases repeatedly – and was linked to the crimes via DNA evidence and the testimony of his terrified victims, who said they would never forget his face.

Yet when asked whether he had anything to say before he was sentenced, Dibetso still insisted he was innocent.

The 43-year-old Ga-Rankuwa man lured the women to remote spots north of Pretoria, under the pretence that he was going to organise work for them.

Nearly all suffered injuries to their private parts, hands or other parts of their bodies as they were tied up in a remote veld after being raped and robbed. Some were gagged with their underwear.

He conducted a reign of terror in Ga-Rankuwa and neighbouring areas over five months in 2012. His victims were so terrified of him that all of them burst into tears when they saw him in court.

Before sentencing Dibetso, the judge had a message for the victims – some of whom were in court to see their attacker sentenced.

“I was moved by the courage you showed to face your attacker in court. No doubt what happened to you will stay with you for a long time. Your courage is commendable,” he said.

The judge also had a message for Dibetso: “You brutally raped and robbed these women. You had no regard for them as human beings…

“You showed no remorse… It is best that you be removed from society for a very long time, if not forever.”

As Dibetso was led down to the cells, he gave a prolonged glance back to the gallery.

His victims sighed in relief. “Now I can at least sleep again at night, knowing he will not come after me again. He nearly killed me,” said a victim, who had been tied to a tree by Dibetso.

A family member of Dibetso said he can never condone what the man did. “I am sorry for his victims and I ask for their forgiveness on behalf of the family.”

Meanwhile, another rapist, Bongani Mnguni, quietly sat next to Dibetso as he was sentenced. Mnguni will hear his fate on Friday.

He was convicted of raping six women in the Brakpan area, luring them into the bush using a similar modus operandi to Mnguni.

KZN woman sends burglar flying

421524895815 October 2015 at 5:50pm

Durban – A Waterfall woman used a burglar guard to fend off a housebreaker, whacking him until he fell out of the window.

In the past few months, Durban women have taken the fight to burglars.

Renette Edwards used a samurai sword in Morningside, and Jennifer Harris of Glenwood pushed a burglar off a ledge from her second-floor flat.

This time, Michele Mayer struck the burglar several times with the burglar guard.

Mayer, 49, and her daughter Chelsea, 10, were asleep in their bedroom. She heard two bangs and awoke with a shock.

She grabbed her glasses and noticed the curtain was moving.

Initially she thought the wind had blown the window open. She then caught the shape of a person under the curtain and instinct kicked in.

“A screw was holding the burglar guard on to the window frame, which delayed him. I started screaming and lunged at the curtain. He was trying to push me in. I was pushing him out. We were both on either side of the burglar guard. The screw holding it came loose.

“The next moment I was holding the burglar guard in my hand. I went wild. I whacked him until he fell out of the window. I mustered up some supernatural strength,” Mayer said. Chelsea sat up in bed, shocked, watching her mother fight. To add to their nightmare, at the same time, they heard the window break in the lounge.

A second burglar was trying to get in through the lounge window.

He put his hand through and took a vase and computer monitor from the table. The men also took a bicycle from outside the house and skipped over a fence.

Although the incident happened late on Sunday night, the family are still shaken by the ordeal and sleep together in one room.

Mayer and Chelsea are undergoing trauma counselling.

Mayer is nursing bruises to her legs and arms, and cuts on her palm.

Her husband, Mervyn, was not home at the time. He urged people to take a stand and fight crime.

“If she stood back, what would have happened next? They could have been harmed. There is a list of possible scenarios.

“Chelsea is still in fear. She won’t go to the next room without us being there. We refuse to live in fear. This is our home,” he said.

Hillcrest police are investigating a case of housebreaking and theft.

Daily News

Pedestrian bridge across M1 Grayston collapses

The pedestrian bridge under construction across the M1 highway in Sandton has collapsed, falling on at least one car. Paramedics have confirmed that at least two people have died.

The collapse of the bridge happened as the City of Johannesburg promoted the Ecomobility World Festival which encouraged motorists to park their cars, cycle, walk and use public transport to get around Sandton.

A motorist told Eyewitness News that he saw the structure crash onto the car behind him.

According to an eNCA report a minibus taxi was underneath it.

A photograph shows the red structure blocking both the north and south-bound lanes of the highway.

Netcare 911 spokesman Chris Botha told News24 paramedics were on the scene, and would provide information soon.

 

Police hunt for female rapists

3020775484

October 13 2015 at 08:03pm
By ANA Reporter

Kagisho police near Kimberley have appealed to the public to assist in identifying the women following the alleged incident last month.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Olebogeng Tawana said that on 25 September, women thought to be “aged between 20 and 30, dark in complexion, 1.6 and 1.7 metre tall, were allegedly driving in a silver hatched back VW Polo with Limpopo registration number plates, in the area of Retswelele in Galeshewe”.

Tawana said: “The women introduced themselves as Barbara, Rolufu and Daphney. It is alleged that they stopped near a house in Retswelele, asking for a direction to the Kimberley city centre.

“A 32-year-old man willingly directed them in the direction to drive to the Kimberley city centre. However, they deceptively asked the man to accompany them until into the city centre, as they will give him a taxi fare back to his house in Retswelele where they had picked him up.

While they were driving towards the city centre, they offered the man a glass of wine, which he is suspicious that the women might have spiked it. He subsequently passed out after drinking it.

“The next moment when he woke up he found himself in bed at a guesthouse in Lichtenburg, in North- West Province. He was offered tablets to drink by the women, and afterwards they took turns to rape him repeatedly. The man alleged that the women kept him in a guesthouse for three days and raped him.”

Tawana called on anyone with information about the women on the identikit, to contact the investigating officer Sergeant Daniel Satisfied at 053 8076 161 or 083 9400 503.

The investigation continues.

ANA

White Merc gang on the prowl

1632804275Johannesburg – A gang using a white Mercedes-Benz have been targeting the residents of Houghton over the past two months.

The gang of five men have been involved in numerous armed robberies and hijackings in the upmarket suburb.

Yaseen Theba, from Vision Tactical, said they had been getting reports about incidents involving the white Mercedes since the beginning of December and, on Sunday, the security company spotted the car and gave chase.

But they lost sight of it as it disappeared on Louis Botha Avenue near Alexandra. The registration number of the Mercedes is unknown.

Theba said there had been 12 sightings of the car in Houghton since December. It has a sunroof, tinted windows and LED lights on the bumper.

The gang of five wear masks and gloves. Their modus operandi is to lift up electronic gates to gain access to properties.

About three weeks ago, a man driving a white Mercedes ML stopped at an Engen service station to draw money. Shortly afterwards, on the corner of Glenhove Road and Fifth Street, he was held up. Cash and his watch were taken and the men drove off in his car, Theba said.

The car was recovered a few blocks away, and witnesses saw the gang get into a white Mercedes that was waiting for them, and drive off.

“We suspect they noticed his watch at the petrol station,” Theba added.

Last Thursday morning, the gangsters entered the house of a businessman and held him and two assistants at gunpoint. They made off with valuables and a light-metallic grey Audi Q5.

Theba said the men are well dressed, and on a few occasions, they have been seen driving around the suburb with three men and a woman in the car.

They were stopped once or twice by various security companies in the neighbourhood. The officers were told that the men were brothers and were just dropping their sister off.

“We have noticed that they aren’t stealing cellphones or iPads or any electronics that can be traced.

“They are taking cash, jewellery and watches,” Theba pointed out.

Crime Line has appealed to anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the robbers to SMS 32211 or call Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

If the car is spotted, call 10111.

Crime Line’s Yusuf Abramjee said indications were that the robbers were well organised.

The Star