“Traffic will be diverted from 4pm around Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown for a concert,” spokesman Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar said.
Jeppe, Bree, Henry Nxumalo, and Miriam Makeba are among the roads to be closed off.
Commissioner and Miriam Makeba streets would be blocked off for a fireworks display. Wolmarans and Claim streets would be cordoned off for a church service.
The Johannesburg Road Agency (JRA) will be closing off all roads leading to the M1 North & South on the Double Decker section for New Year’s Eve celebrations.
JRA spokesperson Nonhlanhla Nxumalo says the closures are part of safety measures ahead of the celebrations.
The closures will start from 8pm and will only fully re-open after 1am the next day.
The following sections will be completely closed:-
1. M1 South Smit Street on-ramp, motorists are advised to use Smit St. off-ramp.
2. M1 South Carr Street on-ramp
3. M1 North: Crown interchange to DD – motorists are advised to use M2 East
4. M2 West: Crown interchange to DD
5. M1 North onramp from Booysens Road: Selby to M1 North DD
M2 East: Eloff Street. On-ramp will not be closed but motorist should be made aware that access to M1 North is closed