Vision Tactical Media
An accident scene can be a hectic place with a lot of things going on at once. Accident scenes are often chaotic and difficult to secure with so many people coming and going.
If you find yourself in a collision, there are certain procedures you should follow to ensure your safety and the safety of your passengers, such as:
- Immediately stopping to assess the extent of damage and possible injury to passengers
- Reporting the incident to the police within 24 hours and obtaining a reference number
- Contact your insurance company if applicable
- Taking down as many details as possible, including: Names, identity numbers, addresses, contact details, registration numbers, vehicle and accident descriptions, tow truck details
Do not, under any circumstances do the following, as it may compromise the accident scene:
- Do not interfere with evidence
- Do not take any narcotics or alcohol after the accident
- Do not admit liability
- Do not sign any documents presented to you
An accident scene is a driver distraction. Many accidents occur next to accidents scenes where motorists are not attentive to the road ahead and only focused on the emergency activities at the scene.
The following advice is provided to motorists driving near accident scenes:
- Slow down when you see an accident scene – and if necessary –Stop!
- Look for changes in the traffic pattern around the accident
- Look for personnel directing traffic
- Stop when directed to stop and do so immediately. Do not keep coasting slowly.
- Proceed through the scene slowly when directed to do so
- Look for signs indicating what you should do
- Watch out for emergency services personnel walking around the scene
- Watch out for emergency vehicles arriving and departing the scene
- Do not stare at the accident scene or flashing lights while your vehicle is in motion
- Do not honk your horn. Rest assured, it will not get you through any faster!
- Do not make sudden movements
- Do not assume anything. Do only as directed by the police or officials directing traffic
- Do not disregard the directions of the person directing traffic