Vision Tactical –
Robberies are one of those things that you often hear about on TV and via WhatsApp messages – but believe, deep down, will never happen to you.
However, this has changed, every day we hear of people who have recently been robbed, often in broad daylight.
Some of these incidents include a young woman robbed while leaving a shopping mall, a man robbed while getting into his car outside his home and two women robbed while taking a peaceful jog – just to mention a few.
Getting robbed is something one does not prepare for. There are however precautions one can take to help decrease the chances of becoming a victim of such unfortunate incidents.
With an increase in armed robbery cases in the north of Johannesburg in recent weeks, Vision Tactical Director Yaseen Theba outlined important tips on how to diminish the odds of becoming a target for brazen criminals:
- Firstly, people should avoid walking alone, rather walk in a group. Suspects are more likely to target individuals walking alone, than a group.
- We cannot stress this enough, avoid wearing expensive clothes and/or jewellery as they attract potential suspects or muggers.
- If you are approached by someone who is behaving suspiciously, do not stop to fight or argue. Run as fast as you can and make as much noise as possible.
- If you are robbed, defending yourself if you have the skills or a weapon. Pepper spray can be an effective hindrance and can be easily carried.
- However, if you are robbed at gunpoint, keep calm and give the criminal whatever they want.
Theba adds that robberies can happen anywhere at any time. Knowing what thieves look for when they choose their victims, and what you can do to make yourself less of a target, can help you avoid becoming a victim yourself.
Individuals traveling from areas which have recently become crime hotspots are urged to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings at all times and are also encouraged to travel in groups rather than alone.
Vision Tactical Communications
Mobile: +274 772 3333